Wednesday, April 25, 2012

O Love that wilt not let me go...

In three weeks, the weekly women’s bible study, Wellspring, who meets on Tuesday mornings at WEPC, will wrap up their study of Genesis. I have been very blessed by my participation in the study. The study’s title, Genesis: Pursuit and Promise, fits perfectly.
Each week, I have been awestruck by the Lord’s pursuit of his people. God is always seeing, always remembering and always drawing his people to himself. 
I have a lot in common with these individuals of Genesis. Why do these people need God to see, remember and draw them back? They are sinners just like me!
Do I matter to God as much as these people? They are in the Bible, I am not. Oh, but I am. I am the one for whom He died on the cross. I am included in this bunch of sinners. They are part of my story and their story is part of mine.
We are all on a journey. Sometimes it’s easy to forget who is in charge of our journey. But God does not forget. He is faithful until the end.
“Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” Genesis 28:15
Last week, our Missional Community Group had the privilege of hearing from 3 young adults who have transitioned out of the Foster Care System. They shared with us their testimonies. Their testimonies were hard to hear. They have each endured many challenges. But in those challenges it was extremely clear to me, that God has been with them and is pursuing them. He sees them, he remembers them and he is drawing them close.
What a blessing these young adults were to our group. Beforehand, our group was prepared to step into the system and offer our services. Because that is what we do best, right?
I had to laugh to myself as several members of our church tried re-wording the question "but what can we do?" just in case the first person who asked wasn't heard correctly.
Well, those 3 individuals don't "need" us. They have been helped by amazing social workers and foster parents who have loved them with a tough love. People who have been there for them 24/7.
In fact, they all agreed that having another "stranger" in their life who was offering an hour or two a week wouldn't really be helpful to them or any other young adult fostering out of the system.
So where does that leave us? Surely there is something we can "do"?
Perhaps God is showing us that being an outsider isn't the answer. Jesus came and lived on earth with us. He got dirty. He was mocked. He was shamed. He bled and died for us.
If you don't participate directly in foster care, than lift those who do, up in prayer. If you don't open your homes to them, pray for those who do, because there are families that do.
God is meeting his children. He not only provided for these 3 kids when they needed it, but he has drawn them to churches. They are seeking Him.
"Surely the Lord is in this place and I was not aware of it!" Genesis 28:16 
The God who pursues Abram, Isaac and Jacob, is the same God that is pursuing you today. Perhaps he is calling you to be a foster parent. Or perhaps he is asking you to pray. Or perhaps he is asking you to trust him with the children you are already parenting. Either way, He is at work, it isn't up to us. Praise Him!


By Ali Fogarty, group member

No comments:

Post a Comment