Monday, March 12, 2012

Sorrow but Not without Hope

As I have grown into my role as a mother one thing as remained the same. My heart aches when I think of a child without a mother. And yet there are millions without mothers, approximately 143 million in fact. I can choose to get overwhelmed with this number and slink back into my bubble with a family of 5 (there is certainly plenty to keep me busy) or I can keep pursuing what it means to care for the orphans.

It is very clear that God calls his people to care for them. It is a mandate in fact. “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27

I am a logical, play by the rules kind of gal. Have you ever played Apples to Apples? Well, I stink at it! In the game, players chose a noun card from their hand that best matches the adjective card that was chosen for that round by the judge. Then the judge decides which noun is the best match for the adjective. Quoted from the rules - “This decision is subjective; the official rules encourage the judge to pick the match that is "most creative, humorous or interesting". Apparently, I cannot do that. I am far too literal, anyone can guess my answer after the first round. Even when I think I am intentionally not literal, I still am. I cannot help myself.

I think up until recently, I have approached orphan care in a very literal way. I have, without realizing it, separated my emotions from the tasks at hand. What should my involvement be? What can I do? Can I really do anything at all? The need is so huge. Do I believe that God is really caring for them? Why do I have SO much and they have (in my eyes) SO little?

I failed to realize and plan for (because I like to plan ;) an ever growing sorrow. The heartache began once I had children and it continued to grow when dear friends waited for their sons in Africa and now as I serve with our orphan care ministry. My heart has been slowly changing. But until recently, it still wasn’t personal.
I have continued to seek Him. He has continued to open my eyes and my heart. Now, it’s getting personal. Some days I am not sure my heart can handle any more and this is just the beginning. It hurts so much to see the brokenness of this world. But that hurt is awakening my heart. It’s painful, but it’s the kind of pain that goes seeking for more. I don’t think I could turn away now even if I wanted to. I know too much.

I get easily frustrated when I can’t “see” the Lord defending the weak and the fatherless (Psalm 82:3). The grand picture doesn't appear to be changing (in my little world view). I must realize that by softening my heart, he is doing just that. He is calling one more to his side. What a gracious God I serve, that I might be a part of “defending the weak.” What a gracious God I serve that He would allow me to feel just an inkling of his love for the orphans. How much more does our Father in Heaven love these children? Who am I to think for a second that He doesn't?

“We are to proclaim Christ with the same spirit Christ did. He not only preached the kingdom’s establishment but also demonstrated its character by performing the ultimate good work of laying down His life for His enemies. As the company of the Crucified, we must follow the example of our Lord by the strength that He gives us. Equipped with kingdom words and kingdom deeds, we have been entrusted with the responsibility to make disciples of the nations. All that is required is to love as we have been loved, to teach as we have been taught, and to serve as we have been served. If our King has sacrificed His life, how can we be His loyal subjects and insist on preserving our own?” Dr. Tom Ascol

By Ali Fogarty, group member

No comments:

Post a Comment